Friday, August 26, 2016

Five Ways I Get Through The Day

Shemp's Five Tricks To Make Any Day a Better Day


5) Albums & Gin Gimlets


There's nothing better than putting on an old vinyl and mixing a delicious Hendricks gimlet, with muddled, fresh cucumber. My favorite albums these days include Tumbleweed Connection by Elton John and The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack.

The gimlet is a cocktail made of gin and lime juice. A 1928 description of the drink was: "gin, a spot of lime, and soda." (Wikipedia)

 

4) Breakfast for Dinner


Breakfast is the best meal of the day and should not be wasted on just morning. Having breakfast for supper can cheer up any work night. From sweet to savory, breakfast is just the superior meal. Favorites include: Waffles, Eggs Benedict, Hash, Crispy Chourico, Toad in a Hole, French Toast, Soft Bacon, baked beans & Runny Eggs on Rye Toast.




3) Lavender 


I have an obsession with this scent right now... it's clean, floral, and cosmically soothing. I put it in water with mint for hydration, rub essential oil on my body for that dewy look, take baths in it. I think we could all use more lavender in our lives. 



2) Reading Trashy Romance Novels


The trashier the better. The way I look at it, instead of watching Lifetime or TV in general, at least I am reading. I spend maybe an hour or two each time I purchase new books for my Kindle on Amazon, scouring descriptions and reviews. I scour every used book sale for Harlequin's from the 70's and 80's... hell, I've even read Victorian Era erotica. At the end of the day, if I'm not titillated at least I am amused. I've always had a very active imagination.

<-- The next one on deck! DON'T JUDGE ME  


1) Laying Naked with My Cats in Bed (Spike & Brother)

My cats are my life. They are the sweetest, furriest little feline babies to ever exist. They are independent and yet they always wait for me at the door when I come home. If I cry in bed, for whatever reason, they are quick to come right up to me and comfort me. 

Don't get me wrong, dogs are amazing animals and I can't wait until they day comes when I have my own pooch! However, I think I was a cat in a past life and there is just an undeniable connection between us. I don't know what I'd do without my cats. 

In honor of the number one slot on this list, I've included a poem I wrote for my youngest cat, Brother.




10:33 P.M.
The heat of your head warms my wrist as you rest your chin upon it, like you always do.I whisper sweet nothings into your ear, gently nibbling – you crane your neck into my wrist, as if you could fuse yourself with me if you just tried hard enough.

I close my eyes,breathing in time with the soft, sweet hums that resound through your body.
Your eyes meet mine.                                                    You blink, I blink, you blink, I blink.
I want for nothing.My brother, my son, my love, my friend- In this moment you are all of these things and none of these things.
You are my cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment