Monday, August 29, 2016

Three Directions I Wish Fashion Would Move Toward- Inspired by Film



3) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

Okay, so maybe these outfits wouldn't have the same effect without Elizabeth Taylor being the one to wear them... but there is something universally sexy about the elegant fabrics and cuts of yesteryear. I've never been a fan of low rise jeans or tube tops of the 2000's. Give me an hourglass shape with a defined waist and tasteful cleavage any day. 




2) Basic Instinct (1992)


I want to be Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. I don't just want to look like her, but I want her brilliance and psychotic confidence. 

Nowadays the minimalist undergarment look is so chic (i.e. going commando, bralettes, etc.), but no one pulls it off like Stone (Literally!). The long, lean, oiled legs with the subtle, dark makeup and slicked-back hair... 



1) Her (2013)


The costumes are almost too hipster for me, but I love the simplicity of the casual office and day-to-day wear. Everything just looks so comfortable and almost like a Utopian, Future Society uniform... like everyone has these random pieces in their closets to select from and everyone looks eerily similar, yet subtly distinct. I find these choices to be very reminiscent of the menswear trend donned by Diane Keaton Annie Hall as well! 

“I’m realizing this retroactively. What a lot of futuristic films do and we didn’t, is add things. No epaulets, badges, materials, textures. Those are things you look at the entire film going ‘That’s the future. That’s the uniform.’ What we did instead was take things away. So something is off, but it’s not a distraction. All the costumes in the film are things someone could be wearing now, but we don’t have any denim or belt buckles or ties or baseball hats. We barely have a collar or lapel. The waist lines are all higher.” - Casey Storm in an interview with a NY Times Blog





Image result for costumes from the movie her

No comments:

Post a Comment